Monday, 29 October 2007

Llanteg/Crunwere War Memorial

As there was no memorial in the village to commemorate the War Dead the History Group decided to do their own.
This War Memorial was commissioned by the History Society in 2003 and designed and worked for free by Mrs Diana John of Ruelwall, being unveiled on 28th February 2004.

War Memorial in Llanteg Hall to commemorate the three War Dead from Crunwere Parish:-


William Davies, Bevlin, 9th October 1917
(Private, 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers)
William Davies, Private, 307169, Lancashire Fusiliers. William was born at Bevlin, Llanteg, the son of Lewis Davies and Ann Davies (nee Parry), and resided at Abbey Stream, Ludchurch with his wife Sophia Maria Willday.  He enlisted at Carmarthen as a Private into the 2/8th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers, with the regimental number 307169.  The battalion was part of 197 Brigade, 66th Division.  The Division assembled in France in March 1917 and moved to the Flanders coast, until moved south to take part in the Battles of Third Ypres.  They advanced against the German lines during the Battle of Poelcappelle, suffering terrible casualties, one of which was William, who was killed in Action on 9 October 1917.  He is buried at Buttes New British Cemetery, inside Polygon Wood.



Hugh Slader Glanville, East Llanteg, 11th November 1917
(Private, 24th Battalion, Welsh Regiment)
Hugh Slader Glanville, Private, 320299, Welsh Regiment. Hugh was the son of James Cox Slader Glanville and Anna Maria Glanville, of Llanteg.  He enlisted at Carmarthen into the Pembroke Yeomanry, with the service number 4286.  The Pembroke Yeomanry had formed in Tenby for Home Defence, as part of the South Wales Mounted Brigade.  They arrived in Egypt in March 1916, and on 2 February 1917 were disbanded, joining with the Glamorgan Yeomanry to form the 24th Battalion of the Welsh Regiment, as part of 231 Brigade, 74th (Yeomanry) Division.  Hugh's service number then changed to 320299.  The Division first saw action during the Second Battle of Gaza.  Hugh was wounded during the Third Battle of Gaza, and Died of Wounds on 11 November, 1917, aged 26.  He is buried at Beersheba War Cemetery.  His brother William Leslie Glanville served alongside him, and at the time of Hugh's death was wounded and in Hospital at El Arish, Egypt. Fortunately William survived the war.

H.S.Glanville's memorial plaque - originally in Crunwere Church, Llanteg, but relocated to
Llanteg Village Hall in November 2009 due to the church closure.


James Edgar John Mason, Ruelwall, 14th June 1944
(Stoker 1st Class. HMLBO. Royal Navy)
James Edgar John Mason, Stoker, C/KX 143988, Royal Navy.  James was the son of William and Catherine Mary Mason and the husband of Winifred Mabel Eileen Mason, of Ruelwall, Llanteg.  He served in the Royal Navy as Stoker First Class, service number Stoker, C/KX 143988. James served aboard the Royal Naval Vessel, H.M.L.B.O. 6.  The vessel was in fact a device that had been invented purely for the Normandy Landings, and was a Landing Barge, Oil.  These Landing Barges came in a huge variety of different types, and were used for several purposes; defence, transportation, supply (of food, water and oil) and repair (fitted out with workshops).  Little is known of what happened, but John is recorded as having been killed on 14 June, 1944 aged just 23.  He is remembered on the Chatham Naval Memorial, Kent.




Brass Plaque to commemorate Diana John of Ruelwall who designed and
worked the memorial free for the History Society.



The War Memorial was unveiled by Mrs Eileen Oriel (widow of Mr J.E.J.Mason)
after a dedication by Rev'd Bate.





Mrs Eileen Oriel (widow of David Edgar John Mason,
with Mr Mason's two brothers - David and Dennis


Mrs Eileen Oriel with her son Alan Mason and daughter Barbara Howells (nee Mason)











Mr Alan Mason, his mother Mrs Eileen Oriel, his sister Barbara Howells
and Ruth Roberts, History Society Secretary



Judith Lloyd, History Society Treasurer, presenting flowers to
Mrs Diana John of Ruelwall who had worked the tapestry




Family group picture of members of the Mason family,
siblings and descendants of James Edgar John Mason who died in 1944

Andrew Mason, grandson of James Edgar John Mason

Families and friends gathered for the short service followed by tea and refreshments. 
The History Group also ensure that the Village Hall is open every Remembrance Sunday for anyone who wishes to come and pay their respects.

No comments:

Post a Comment