Wednesday, 24 October 2007

Virtual Tour of St Elidyr Church Crunwere

Crunwere Church




South porch rebuilt in 1878 on site of earlier porch. Decoration added by Hugh James of Arfryn






Vent in south wall of South Transept could indicate that there is an underground chamber (may have been added in 1878 when built)





Gravestone embedded in the outside wall of the South Transept. Stone states:


Near this wall lies the body of John Howell A.M.
The son of Reynold Howell of Trenewyed, Gent.
He was sometime Rector of New Radnor but in the year of Trial 1691 was deprived of all that he could not keep with a good conscience.
Who died Jan. 17th 1727, aged 70.
(A stone tablet in memory of a non-juring clergyman)




Ordnance Survey Trig Plate on south wall of South Transept



Crunwere Church
Named Lann Cronnguern in the 12th century Book of Llandaff
Of limestone rubble construction

Rebuilt in 1843 (when the South Transept was added) and restored in 1878 at a cost of £550(with the exception of the North Transept and Tower)

A medieval church central within an earthwork of a disappeared village site



Old door into church






Restoration Fund box just inside doorway





Memorial to right of doorway in Nave


Memorial to left of doorway in Nave




NAVE

32ft x 18ft

North Nave Window
Called the Broomylake Window - with a representation of the farm. In memory of Alfred James (Churchwarden for 25yrs - died 1950), his wife Elizabeth (died 1939) and their daughter Evelyn (died 1931)



South Nave window
The Lord and his Mother - in memory of Benjamin Hancock Morris (died 1941), Elizabeth his wife (died1949) and their daughter Annie (died 1936)





View down aisle to altar




Memorial plaque to Hugh Slader Glanville who died in the 1st World War


View into North and South Transepts


Two plain windows



Old gas lamps still in place


View west back down aisle



The Pulpit



Views from the pulpit




South Transept



Down aisle



Poor photograph showing wooden ceilings



Looking into North Transept





Tiled floors apparently date from the 1878 renovations




(suspended floors in 60% of church)




Possible under floor heating in 5% of church



SOUTH TRANSEPT

14ft x 11ft


View into South Transept



NORTH TRANSEPT

14ft x 11ft

View into North Transept

(Plaque to Mr Benjamin Jones of Heatherland who bequeathed money in his Will for the instalation of electicity to church)










CHANCEL

15ft x 12ft

Rood beam
Wooden Rood Beam erected in memory of Robert Davies late of Greenacre (1861-1936) and his wife Emma E. (1866-1945). A gift of their son Paul Davies, Faith, Judy and Paul Junior, California (1957)








East window over altar

Victorian stained glass window over altar gifted by the late Mrs Georgiana Morgan of Heatherland in memory of her husband Rev'd Richard Morgan (a son of Trenewydd)














Small vestry window





Small door into vestry


Reredos - oak panelling behind the altar in memory on Thomas Jones (Priest) and Jane Morgan (erected by Emma Jane Jones in 1934)



Ten Commandments either side of altar




FONT
Heavy oak font lid in memory of Mabel Prosser (died 1950) -
given by her sister Patty Davies of Sparrowsnest









View of font and towards altar







TOWER


17ft x 16ft


Dates from the mid 16th century

Of traditional Pembrokeshire type with three storeys. The western door was blocked up and a window installed.


Cross on door into base of tower area






Hatch and bellrope in base of tower



Western window (once the doorway)




Door up to tower





Three apertures for bellropes (only one in use)


West window where indentations from staircase are only just visible top right above window


No comments:

Post a Comment